Friday, October 30, 2020

I, Stuttering, Support, Hosting and Test Leadership Congress 2020

 

The gratitude is what I sense in me at present as I write this post.  I thank my friend Ajay Balamurugadas for letting me know about Test Leadership Congress 2020 (TLC 2020) is looking for volunteers. I express my humble gratitude to Anna Royzman and Test Masters Academy.  

I was part of TLC 2020 in the host and support roles.  I received remuneration for it.  I could take care of my family for a couple of months with this remuneration when I did not have a job paying me a salary.

If Ajay had not discussed volunteering TLC 2020 conference, I would not have attempted hosting the virtual online conference so soon in my career.


Test Leadership Congress 2020


TLC 2020 was a virtual online conference.  The COVID19 pandemic has made the technology and software testing conferences to be online.  The good part is, I could attend it sitting from home.  If not, I could not have traveled to the USA for this conference bearing the conference ticket and travel expenses.

TLC 2020 was 47 days of the virtual conference having 179 (or close to 7.5 days) of live streaming, which is not an ordinary conference story.  I did not imagine that I will be attending a virtual conference from home for 179 hours.


Here is the gist of TLC 2020:


  1. 47 days virtual conference (pre-conference days, conference days, and tutorial days)
  2. 60+ speakers from all geographical continents
  3. 135 hours of pre-conference and conference sessions
  4. 44 hours of tutorials
  5. 179 hours in total live-streamed
  6. Summer Leadership Season -- 20th July 2020 - 21st August 2020
  7. Fall tutorials -- 01st September 2020 - 08th October 2020
  8. Time Zones covered -- AEDT, IST, BST, EST
  9. No downtime of conference streaming
  10. Support available throughout the streaming time and offline




Hosting and Volunteering the TLC 2020 sessions


I did not speak as a speaker. I hosted, supported, and shared by facilitating the in the below sessions slot:


  1. Interactive APAC/South Asia/Europe -- Lean Coffee Session
  2. Interactive South Asia/Americas/Europe -- Lean Coffee Session
  3. Interactive Americas/Europe -- Lean Coffee Session
  4. Interactive Americas/APAC -- Lean Coffee Session
  5. Happy Hour
  6. Pre-Conference Social: Game + Networking
  7. Fireside Chats and Happy Hour APAC/South Asia/Europe
  8. Fireside Chats and Happy Hour South Asia/Americas/Europe
  9. Fireside Chats and Happy Hour Americas/Europe
  10. Fireside Chats and Happy Hour Americas/APAC
  11. Testing of New Technologies (and Fun Competitions!)
  12. As a host/facilitator I spoke in slots of other speakers for the intro, follow up and closing


It all started on 23rd July 2020, where I saw an opportunity to grab the host role for the session -- Pre-Conference Social: Game + Networking at 1:30 PM IST.  I networked with participants by playing the game -- Questions For Testers (to trigger conversations and build connections). It is an engaging game compiled by James Lyndsay.


I hosted another two talks on the same day at 11:30 PM IST -- "The Art of Situational Leadership by Geosley Andaredes" and "Scale your automated tests using all in one automation tool - TestProject (demo)" by Sumeet Punjabi.


As part of Lean Coffee, Fireside Chats, and Happy Hours, I spoke (along with other participants in these sessions) on varied topics of Software Testing, Automation, Programming, Technology, non-technical, and more.  Importantly, I learned much better by listening to participants in these sessions. I could not have covered such topics in 30 minutes or 60 minutes talk if I had presented in TLC 2020. I shared by learning the context of participants; this helped me tailor what I share, how much I share, and how I shared my content with fellow participants. 




I and Stuttering


I have a speech disorder; I stammer while I talk. I have got control of my stammering today. It is not as bad as I experienced it in my childhood, school, and college days. People at the other end did not wait for me to complete my verbal communication, and some did not listen at all. Hardly I have one friend who listens to me patiently and waits for me to complete my part of converse in the discussion or chat.


Conversing was not a pleasing experience for me in childhood, school, and college days. When I had to buy a ticket on a public bus, I use to get verbally abused by conductors. I had written my destination on a piece of paper and show it to the conductor for having my ticket.


In 2009, I attended a walk-in drive for a Software Testing position. Those days 1000+ people would attend a walk-in drive in Bengaluru if announced publicly. I cleared the first round. It was a spacious hall where 300+ people were seated for the face-to-face interview. The interviewer asked, "What's the difference between verification and validation?" In 10 seconds, the interviewer said, "you may leave now." I explained to interviewers by writing that "I stammer, please listen to me." I remember the expression and tone of the interviewer when saying no. That day, I was disappointed!  When returning home, I said myself when I take an interview, I will listen to the candidate and I will converse.


When I had been to give my test for driving license, the person who was asking questions and reviewing my application forms threw it on the floor and said to get out of the hall. The girl behind me said to him he has difficulty speaking. I had to wait for others to finish their test. The other person came and took my test. I got my driving license. I think of this girl for the empathy she had when saying it. 


Inside my family, it was not easy for me. Except for my father, all others have spoken about how bad I'm when I talk. It made me not to open my mouth for conversing with anyone. I'm much better today; I stammer but not that bad as I did.


Now, when I had an opportunity to host a virtual conference, I said to myself. "it is an opportunity; I have to grab it." I have been waiting to spot such an opportunity for me; it came to me. I made use of the opportunity and worked honestly on it.


I have this thought in me. People have empathy for physically challenged people. But people make fun of people who have a challenge in speaking. Why? The movies I have watched make fun of people who stammer by showing it as a comedy scene or frame. Why? Though it is not a physical challenge, it is a challenge for a person who stutters. Stuttering is not my identity; it is part of me.


Above said are a few incidents from my experience with people while I'm stuttering.  It has impacted me and has its influence on me.  Today, I have control over it, and I'm trying to master it consistently.


I tried my best in TLC 2020 when I hosted and supported. I was aware there will be people from different geographical locations and who might not know my speaking challenges. I remained affirmative and confident while hosting; I believe I did it. I thank Test Masters Academy, speakers, support team, and conference attendees. You all made me better and helped me to see my strength!


In TLC 2020, I hosted/facilitated and volunteered as support for:

  • 31 pre-conference and conference sessions as host/facilitator
  • 36 pre-conference and conference sessions as support
  • 20 tutorials session as host/facilitator and support



Closing Note


I feel the same sense of gratitude while I'm ending the writing of this post. 

I thank Test Masters Academy, Anna Royzman, and Ajay Balamurugadas for the opportunity.  I have used my time in a valuable way by being part of the Test Leadership Congress 2020.  Thanks to the Software Testing Community.

I can host.  I can engage.  I can speak.  I feel a sense of accomplishment!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, do write your comment on the read information. Thank you.