Thursday, October 1, 2020

Workshop Experience: Certified Selenium Engineer

 

This writing is my experience report of workshop Certified Selenium Engineer conducted by Verity Software and Rahul Verma as a trainer.  I could not attend the scheduled workshop, once.  Vinay Baid from Verify Software allowed me to attend the workshop on another date.  I thank him and Verity Software for the help.  In this, conversation, Anil Nahata helped me by coordination and I thank him as well.


Disclaimer

I have not been paid or asked to write this blog post.  I have decided to share my experience and take away from the workshop which I have attended.  I'm doing it, to have my learning experience recorded in brief.  As well, it can help the trainer in a way that her/his workshop will reach more people.


About the workshop

This workshop is on Selenium having the title "Certified Selenium Engineer".  More information about the workshop can be found on the website of Verity Software.  Per my experience, the Verity team is approachable and they coordinate learning the context of workshop attendee.

It was a three days workshop and it was conducted in a hotel at Koramangala, Bengaluru.  Following the workshop, there was a mock test and then a certification test on the third day.  The questions needed thinking to solve and to analyze and choose an answer  Not all questions were straight.

I did not feel the paper as tough.  It engaged me well and made me think.  On understanding the fundamentals well and with the practice that one does in the workshop, the test paper can be easily attempted.


Why did I attend the workshop?

Here are my reasons why I attended this workshop

  • Rahul Verma
  • I see Rahul Verma as a serious and thoughtful practitioner in the Software Testing space
  • Listening to what he has to share in the workshop
    • I know he will not just talk in and around Selenium topics that were mentioned in the workshop details
    • What can I unlearn and learn listening to him?
    • There will more and beyond Selenium, in using Selenium better for sure
      • I needed this; I wanted to listen to this; I wanted to see how he thinks and interprets
  • I said myself do not be biased with words and thoughts of Rahul Verma
    • Think about what he says
    • Interpret on what he says
    • Understand what he says
    • Think what you (Ravisuriya) think
      • I see whatever he spoke in the workshop, it makes very senseful


What I made out of this workshop?


I got what I wanted from the workshop.  I made sure, I make most of it and I was attentive to it.  I share a few of them here:
  • I said myself come with an open mind; forget whatever you know for a while; unlearn and look from a fresh mind
  • I did not open my mouth to talk except for asking questions; I had kept my mind open and attentive
  • I did not like missing any word spoken in the tutorial be it from trainer and attendees
  • Rahul Verma shared beyond Selenium's basics
  • Rahul Verma spoke about Programming in fact and how to use programming for making the best out of a Selenium library
  • Starting with
    • What is the web?
    • How the web works?
    • What the web page is?
    • What is DOM, HTML, CSS?
    • What is an element, tag, attribute, and value in the HTML?
    • What constitutes the browser?
    • What is Selenium?
    • The architecture of Selenium and JSON Wire Protocol
    • Design Patterns and Design Pattern used in Selenium library
    • What is said in the syllabus were covered with examples
      • Not just examples of automation using Selenium
      • But also with an example of what to do and not do - this is a treasure!
      • This is what I want to listen from the practitioner's experience
    • Framework and Test Authoring
  • If I did write everything in detail and how the topics were discussed, it might look like an exaggeration; but it is no exaggeration
  • It has to be experienced at least once from the practitioner's training


My experience and learning


Whatever Rahul Verma spoke it is available in books and web content that talks about Selenium.  The difference is
  • Concepts were said in simple terms
  • Examples shared for the topic spoken were from his work experience
  • Programming - do's and don'ts with each example and concepts
  • Keeping it simple, workable, and learnable
  • If want to be strong in the fundamentals of Selenium, this workshop helps

For the kind of my mindset of learning style and expectation, this workshop from the trainer gave me satisfaction.  I'm happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, do write your comment on the read information. Thank you.