Sunday, February 25, 2024

Backtracking of Testing, Security and Tools

 

When I started my software testing career in 2006, I was in this thought -- What tools should I use, so that,

  • I can do the testing that is sought after
  • I can test for performance
  • I can test for security

Moving from a search for tools to building the mindset and attitude.  It is a journey!  It took me time to see this journey.  I hopped on to this journey in 2011.  I see, this is not an ending journey, while I know where should I go and reach.  I'm on this journey.

I had no mentors.  I had no seniors in software testing to guide and discuss on my thought process.  I had developers (programmers) who had little or no interest in testing; so it did not matter to them.  But, they have helped me to be better tester.  I'm grateful to them.  Then, the community was not so connected, organized and share the knowledge as it does in 2024.  The software testing was not considered or seen as a technical activity, then.  I have stood, fought, demonstrated and delivered my testing as a technical activity.  I'm continuing it.


Today, on 24th Feb 2024, I read the below question in a community's social space and decided to write this blog post.
Hey, everyone .... Can anyone please suggest a good tool for API security testing?

This question resonates in test engineers.  Most of we test engineers still look and ask for tools when it comes to security testing.  To test engineers, the performance and security testing are still a conception and activity with tools alone.  In reality, it is not!  If you are in such thought or you come across such question to answer, this blog post is for you.


Backtracking the Problem Identification

In programming, we have an approach by name Backtracking.  It is about exploring in possible ways to find possible solutions for a problem.  And, a best solution which works in context is picked.

What's the problem here?  Testing, Security and Tools. Are you with me so far? Let us backtrack this problem.

NoteI see a difference between the words 'possible' and 'all'.  Hence, I use the words "possible ways" and "possible solutions" and not "all ways and all solutions".


Bounties and Entry

There are reputed bug bounties for security testing.  To get into this bounties one has to showcase her/his discoveries and skills with her/his recognized portfolio.

The tools are accessible to all.  The community edition and licensed edition tools are available.  We use these both editions of tools.

  • But, why not all of us with tools cannot get into such invited security bug bounties?  
    • You will answer this question if you ask yourself.  Hope this backtracking should have helped by now!

The Security Engineering is a vast practice area in Software Engineering. There are dedicated security engineers in role.  But, we test engineers can take up the testing for the security of software systems which the team is programming and building.

I advise, a practicing test engineer
  • To start with building an interest for security engineering.
  • Consistently hone and build the mindset, attitude and skills needed for the testing the security aspects.
  • Pick simple problems, solve it.  Do it consistently, while you explore the layers.

While this is done consistently, it is time to find the mentors in Security Testing. The mentors will assist you in practicing how to test effectively for security making use of simple contextual necessary tools.  Also, a mentor will let you know how to test for security without tools to an extent.  The tool is effective when known how to use it.  The tools help immensely only if I can test for security. 

To backtrack in a different perspective, did any tool that you use, find a P1 security problem [or risk] by itself in its scan?  Did your programmers acknowledge to that risk or problem?  I will pause with these two question to you.



Today, my testing for security is confined to systems that I test.  I test for web application, mobile apps, web APIs, and database.  I can assist here, if you do the home work and ping me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, do write your comment on the read information. Thank you.