Friday, January 13, 2023

How I Paved my Path into Software Testing! -- Part 2

 

I did not want to cut short sharing my experience for the below question.  I want to write what I want, to share about my journey to my first Software Testing job.  The question from Trending in Testing: -- "Could you please share your story about how you paved your path into Software Testing?"


College and Job Hunt

In 4th semester, I decided to take Software Testing as my job.  I practiced Java 2 then, and using Core Java is one of my skills.  But, in college, we were said not to pick Software Testing as a career and job but instead to pick programming as a job.  The way I debugged my own code, it showed me that I’m doing better in testing each time.

On graduating B.E. in the year 2005, I walked to the public library to read the Times Ascent every Wednesday. I made a paper booklet that fitted my pocket and I wrote the email-id of companies who published (advertised) the openings and hiring for Software Engineers. All the openings advertised were for experienced software engineers.  I made note of all these email-id published in the Times of India's, Times Ascent. I hardly remember any call for freshers then on Times Ascent.  I did write a cold email to every advertisement for a Software Engineer job published in Times Ascent.

I walked to Software Companies in Bengaluru, asking for the email-id of the HR or email-id to share my fresher resume. I noted them in the booklet I had in my pocket. I gave the hard copy of my resume to the front office staff and asked them to share it with HR. Also, I mailed my resume later and asked for an interview opportunity saying how I will add value though I'm a fresher. I did not hear back!

Then, browsing at the internet centre was on the 52 KBPS modern telephone line and priced at 40 to 45 INR per hour. I had to mail around 30 to 45 individual emails in an hour with that choking internet. I had a credit account in the internet center as I extended 15 to 20 minutes each time, and it cost me 25 INR more. Today, do we have internet centers today in cities?  We do it all on a smartphone now most time.




Interview and My First Job

Those were the days that saw 6000+ freshers in a walk-in drive.  On one Wednesday, I saw an advertisement in Times Ascent from Datacard Software India Pvt. Ltd., looking for senior and lead engineers in Java. I wrote an email and shared my resume saying I'm a fresher and can use Java to program. I did not hear back from Datacard. 

After two months, I got a call from Radhika Muralidharan, the HR head of Datacard, India, asking if I was available for giving the interview. I said, YES!  

The first round was Java programming, and it had ten programs. I wrote the programs, all ten programs; I could see the confidence in me. I got a call after a week for the second round.  

In the second round, the interview panel had Srinivasan Rao the MD of Datacard Software India, and Vasu, the engineering manager. The questions were on Linked List and Double Linked List. I had the idea for these Data Structures; I wrote the programs for traversing the list and nodes.  But, I was not pleased with the logic, and I took 30+ minutes for two questions. The questions were about my logic, and I said, "it does not look good to me". 

This is the feedback I received in this round -- "You are good in Core Java; now you will have to work on Data Structures and optimize the same".   I acknowledged and accepted it.   But, I was confident in the way how I tested the logic I wrote for Linked List and Double Linked List and how I reasoned my logic is not a good one and why so.  I was said to leave as I did not meet the expectation.  I was not happy!  I practiced the data structures better.  I did not even know that data structures are a need and it is most expected in the interviews, then.

I continued my job hunt in walk-ins that saw 6000+ freshers. Three weeks later, I got a call from Radhika Muralidharan. She asked if I'm still looking out for a job, and if yes can I collect the offer letter at 4:30 PM. I said YES!

I was 30 minutes early for my interviews and on the day to collect the offer letter. Radhika spoke to me and asked to be seated in the meeting room. After 10 minutes, Srinivasan Rao came to the meeting room with an offer letter. He said, "What if I offer you the role of Testing?"

Ah! I needed a job. I wanted to be in Software Testing. I was offered a job in Software Testing. I said, "Sir, I will be happy, and I will do my best."  

He said, "Your skills are unique; you and we can benefit from your testing. Can you join on 6th July?".   I said, "I will start tomorrow." I still remember how Radhika and Srinivasan smiled at me when I said that.

I'm happy Software Testing choose me.  I'm happy that I got a job, and I got what I wanted as my job! I'm a Software Test Engineer by choice.  I'm glad, Software Testing is still holding me and uplifting me each day.  I'm a student of Software Testing & Engineering.



I Convey My Thanks and Gratitude

I thank Radhika for looking at my email and for the opportunity she gave me to give my interview. If she had not marked my email to call me for an interview, I don't know!  I thank Srinivasan Rao for the opportunity he gave me. I remember these two people, and they are in my thoughts. I'm grateful for the confidence they had in hiring me. Thank you, Radhika and Srini.  This job helped me to help my family.  I asked my mother to stop making agarbatti's and relax; she was doing it to support the family.  My first salary was 13000 INR.

I had four rupees in my pocket that evening. I looked for a coin telephone box on MG Road. I called my mother to tell her I got a job. up  I called my childhood friend Kantharaju to say I got a job; he picked me that day back home.  

I was on a project the next day with requirements, test cases, and design documents. The tasks were defined with timelines to deliver. Kalyan Kumar, the project manager gave me the book "Effective Methods for Software Testing" by William E Perry. He marked the chapters to complete reading in a week. That is the first book that I read to know and understand the approach and process in software testing.

I started my Software Testing career happily.  I m a Software Tester Engineer by choice.  I believe, Software Testing chose me and I'm grateful for it.  I'm a student of Software Testing and continuing my practice confidently amidst all the chaos that is surrounding Software Testing as a practice and career, today.  

And, this is how I started my Software Testing career.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, do write your comment on the read information. Thank you.