Sunday, April 11, 2021

Testing and Report: One Hour of Testing; I Failed, Not The Tests

 

This incident crosses my mind often.  Each time it crossed, I have said myself -- "How bad my testing was then! Not Again."  Today, I'm better.

I was the only tester on the floor that evening in Moolya.  It was around 8:10 PM and I was practicing after office hours.  Pradeep Soundararajan walked along with Sunil Kumar T, and asked: "Can you test this website and share a test report in an hour?"  I did collect the details I needed with the context.  I was surprised to see them as I did not hear voices for minutes while I was practicing.

I was supposed to test a website that had one page.  I did not see any dynamic content on the page and it was all static.  In an hour, what can I test for the context shared?  I listed my thoughts and ideas.  I did my tests and emailed the report to the customer and I remember, I copied it to Pradeep and Sunil.

The next day, I asked how's the report and good enough for context.  I was said, "It serves the context and purpose. Good!"

But today, when this work of me cross my mind, I get the feel of:

  • How bad my test coverage is in that testing!
  • How blind I was in my work that day though I did my thinking in work!
  • How shallow I was in the tests!
  • I must not repeat it again.
  • I failed during that one hour.

This failure of me has added values in me and it continues to add. The one-hour testing and the test report tell me I failed but not the tests. 

If I test the same web page today, I'm not the same tester.  I have progressed in my practice.  Yet, this incident reminds me of what I should not be doing.  Moolya has helped me in this journey.  I thank Sunil and Pradeep for picking me to test that one-page website.  If they had not picked me for this task, I would have missed learning that wakes up a tester in me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, do write your comment on the read information. Thank you.