Sunday, August 18, 2019

When My Team Member was Fired, I Could Not Accept My Salary Hike



In one of my job, I was assisting people who had started their career in Software Testing and few others who were into Software Testing for a while.  Before going further, let me say what I have experienced being with people. 

Through my childhood, I have come across people who are from different backgrounds, economy status, habitat, culture, abilities, and personal personalities.  I see all are special and good in what and how they are.  Where they came from have the influence in how they interact, respond and get going.  Anything can get better if there is a will in the journey is what I'm witnessing.  With this learning of me, I could easily learn how I should interact with a person, on listening to her/him for some time. I just tune up or tune down to the frequency of them, and get it going smoothly.  Once we have a better understanding of common objectives, the credible rapport for each others and mutual understanding on communication we have built, we will take it forward. This works! It is working for me.

I have worked with people and nation whose language is not the English and have difficulty in communication (spoken, written and understanding) using the English. The lack of English communication has not stopped from doing the brilliant job. I can say it standing anywhere and to anyone, anytime!

I, myself have difficulty with the English. I'm said -- you are bad in English; I was made fun for my English; I was taken to extent by saying -- I will tell how you are and who you are to whole world for what I wrote and what I did in my practice.  I'm okay with that!  I continued observing and I saw where can I get better in which I have control.  I use the English words and grammar, which I'm aware of and I continue to learn.  I have a pride in it as I see my efforts are consistent and I see result.  If you are understanding what I'm writing here and what I want to express, isn't that appreciable?

Few might say, what would the English speaking people say on hearing, reading and listening to this English.  Fair! But, that should not make me or anyone to be small and worthless, and it will not make.  I say, who have that thought, are just too narrow in seeing the perspectives and differences of social culture, yes of course in appreciating it as well.

Coming back to the current blog post title line, one of my fellow team member was asked to leave job because that person's English was not good.  I was said, enough chances were given for that person and no improvement in English and communication, so the decision.  I sometime, got the thought is this a English learning school?  I felt, that person's English was okay to communicate but the actual problem was, that person is not opening up to speak with particular person and few others. That person did talk with me and to other teams, openly.  If one have cleared a Under Graduate Degree of an University by writing the exams in the English, it tells, there is something else, the problem is not the English speaking or writing.  There is a barrier for that person which has to be broken, and it has to be broken from both ends. It can take time, and it will happen one fine day.

We talk of traps and we will fall into traps because we are managers and not the leaders most times in our roles, thoughts, stands and work.  The leaders too fall in trap, but a leader will be a problem solver and can see the trap and act upon it.  For a manager who wants to do the things right, it can be a tough one to handle. To a leader who wants to have the right things, can remove the blockers and solve though it is tough one.

I don't stick on to say whether it was right or wrong for asking that person to leave the job saying the English or not speaking up.  At the end, it is one of kind of personality among several other personalities of human beings.  Also I feel, that slowness in opening up to speak and get going is not okay in the business world.  The push had to come from both ends, but it did not.  The management went ahead without seeking what a leader of that team thinks about this problem.  Not sure if the manager knew what was the problem here with that person.  Or may be the manager was not considered at all by the upper management in that decision.

Soon, one day, I was called to collect my hike letter.  I was not blank here.  I said, I don't deserve this hike. I was asked why so.  I said, "One of my team member was asked to leave job. I was mentoring and assisting that person. It was said no improvement in that person while I could see the good progress.  If management does not see the progress in that person, then I have a relation to it.  I have not progressed in one my roles and responsibilities better.  I have not done my job well with that person who lost the job. I have lost a team member who could have been an asset to organization."   I thanked the management in the room and I asked if I can leave and walked back to my desk.  I don't know what impression it gave to people in the management on me.  I was clear in my decision.  I believe, I'm a leader and I stand for it when I lead me or my team. I will be a voice for them and for the job we do in solving the testing problems.

Though my financial condition was not good, I strongly moved with that decision. I feel happy about how I have responded to it and took the accountability not just responsibility being a leader.  Few months later, being out of job that person continued the software testing practice; won the 1st place in a testing competition that is open to the testers across globe and have testers participating from several countries. Please don't take it as, that person won 1st place because I was assisting in practice; no; I don't claim it that way in any means. That person practices and has skills, so the win.  That person is not into the Software Testing career, today. 

I led that person by assisting the practice of a fresher.  A fresher losing the job for no progress in my leadership, is my failure. I have a leader in me who resonates in pride for that decision of not accepting the hike, with humble respect to the management.  I was not just responsible being a leader, I was accountable for them in that role, that day.


Closing Notes:

  • People are not same; different people have different personalities.
  • All problems are not same; different problems have different complexities, patterns, and personalities.
  • For an organization, it is very important to have management and leadership go in parallel knowing what has to be accomplished.
  • The Management and Leadership are assumed and seen to be the one and same; no they are not.
  • Manager act and moves in ownership of "I'm responsible". Leader steers and drives in the ownership of "I'm responsible and accountable".  It is easy to look as being accountable and not just responsible for all of us in what we do and deliver either as individually or as a team. No the reality is, it is apparent, when the deck opens up for accountability; that is when we see categories forming for the  'responsible' and 'accountable' in the team and organization.  If felt, accountable, you will have the voice and it can be heard on the floor.  Where as when just responsible, still you will have voice and it is heard on the floor, but not as the voice that stands out on the floor in crowd.
  • Management team can have a good leader while being a manager. Likewise a leadership can have a good manager while being a leader.
  • Management and Leadership are two sides of an eye. Which side of an eye is visible to your people and to you, will tell about the influences on your people from you.
  • Most managers, to-become managers, just-promoted-as-manager and the management in an organization -- all of them learns the management from the environment where they come from and from their managers who managed them. Now you know what example you are setting by leading.
  • A leader can go unnoticed most times because a leader creates a system which is not dependent on her or him at any time.
  • Stand for your team and people, assist in the possible ways.
  • Don't be a shield of defense being a leader to team; let team face the music. Drop in and assist when and where it is needed, and let the team swing to music while you lead them.
  • As a leader, help your team to be relevant, to be aware, and to be open.
  • As a leader, communicate upon knowing what's the frequency on the other side; get down and pull up the frequency than shutting down the channel.
  • In software industry, the engineers take up the management role these days. The engineers who got promoted to management, might not have the idea of management and leadership. It takes practice and skills of the management and leadership to be a manager and a leader. Think back, how much it has taken for an engineer to be a skilled engineer over the time in gaining those engineering skills.  None were that effective in the engineering skills right immediately passing out of the engineering college or the university.
  • The management can fail to see the progress; change/progress happening in the practice and changes on the floors.  The leadership team has to enable and assist the management teams in learning to communicate, assess, and respond. 
  • Leaders, you need both managers and leaders to move in any directions. Managers are good at certain things and so the leaders.  Both are needed for an organization.  Don't just have environment that creates the managers with no leader in them. Have the environment that incubates, fosters and supports the growing of upcoming Leaders.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, do write your comment on the read information. Thank you.